Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Tower of London


Detta and I set off for the Tower of London today. We caught the train from Kingston to Clapham Junction and then on to Victoria Station. We took the tube to Tower Hill and of course as soon as we got off the train, it down poured. At least we have raincoats to wear. We bought our tickets and away we went.


It was so crowded. We were going to do the tour with the Beefeaters but the tour probably consisted of 40 people. I couldn't hear a thing so we set off on our own. We walked through all the towers, battling our way through all the crowds. I can't believe there were so many people. Line-ups everywhere!! Detta had an ice cream while we waited to enter the vaults for the Crown Jewels (and in the rain). No one picture of this trip stands out for me but I did like the soldiers (Queens Guard!) walking through the tower.


We did the Henry VIII exhibition of his armour. It was very interesting and I think a very good change to the previous exhibitions of the armour. But we were very tired and very sore feet. I was glad I wore my running shoes (yes, just like a tourist).

There have been some interesting buildings built around the area since I left. One in particular I thought looked like a space ship. I have been told it is the new building for the Mayor of London. It looks a bit odd amongst all the old and you might say normal looking office buildings.


I did end up speaking to my sister-in-law, Juliet so we are going for a visit on Saturday. She works beside Mayday Hospital (where Detta and Miles were born) so Detta and I will have a visit of Croydon high street first. It will be nice for Detta to meet her uncles, aunts and cousins.

No comments: