Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Richmond Park

Today is the day I planned on repacking. We are off to N.Ireland tomorrow. Alan is giving us a ride to the airport but we are leaving at 7:30 as it is in the direction of his work. Our flight is at 11:00am.

It just chucked it down with rain this morning but then brightened up. But we went for a lovely walk in Richmond Park. We walked through Ham Gate and up to Pembroke Lodge (a lovely Georgian building) where we stopped for tea. Detta decided to have lunch so she had chili con carne with rice and vegetables and then ice cream for dessert. I just had a coffee. We would have sat outside but it was very windy. So we made due with window seat overlooking a very nice flower bed.
We then walked up to King Henry's Mound and had a great view of Richmond looking west. If you look in the opposite direction, you can see the dome of St. Paul's Cathedral. There is some sort of law which protects this view. Nothing can be built taller than King Henry's Mound so the view will be unobstructed. We walked further over and out Petersham Gate. A little further on from the gate, there is a better viewing area which includes a good view of the Thames and Eel Island.

Now we are back I must start packing. At least I have the other suitcase now. Detta and I have decided that we are going to take 3 suitcases. I checked with both airlines and there is no limit to the number of bags, just the 20kg limit. I am sure by the time we leave Ireland, we will be over that. I still have to grocery shopping, I haven't any gravy granules or piri piri yet. Oh and chocolate!!!

No comments: