Sunday, May 16, 2010

Girl Guides 100th Birthday Rally Day


On Saturday, I went to the 100th Anniversary Celebration for Girl Guides of Canada. It was an all day celebration at Ontario Place. There were approximately 11,000 girls and women attending. The Molson Amphitheatre was packed. But to start at the beginning, Detta and I woke very early and Hugh drove us to meet the bus for 7:20am. It was a bit disorganized as no one knew what bus they were supposed to be on. Luckily we happened to be dropped off right where our bus was sitting. I had a cooler full of drinks and snacks and Detta and I certainly didn't want to be lugging that around. The drinks and snacks were for the journey home.

Well off we went about 25 minutes late but the organizers had staggered the arrival of buses so it was no a problem. After receiving our welcome package we all got our tickets and wrist bands. Since we were early we walked over to the Cinesphere where we were supposed to see a short movie on Girl Guides. I guess they were not quite ready for us since we saw 'North of Superior'. I probably saw this myself when I was little since it was made in 1971.

After we left there we made our way to the Amphitheatre for the opening ceremonies. We had to wait quite some time as some buses were late due to the Gardener being closed. The opening went well and once it was finished, we made our way to our first station. The whole process of moving from station to station was interesting to say the least. There were so many people there, that at times it was difficult to move especially with 23 people and one wheelchair. Some of the girls didn't want to take part in the events and only wanted to go on the rides. We should have just let them go about on their own or broken into smaller groups. It was a long day.

By the time the closing started it was getting much cooler. I wish I had had mittens with me. They called the buses numbers out so getting out of the Amphitheatre was much quicker than in the morning. We were back to the pickup site by about 7:30pm. I was exhausted and my feet were killing me.

No comments: